It has been a busy year for the members of Sheffield Printmakers.
Joint Exhibition Events
- The Art House Annual Exhibition October 2017
Over 25 members exhibited work at our annual printmaking exhibition at this lovely venue in the city centre. Sales were £916 during the exhibition and everyone agreed that the standard of work had exceeded even last year’s show, with a fantastic variety of professional printmaking on show.
- Portland Works Heritage Day 10th September 2017
16 members took part in this print fair and exhibition, during one of the open day events at Portland Works.
- ‘Freshly Pressed’ Print Fair 15th July 2017
Five of our printmakers took part in this new print festival at the Civic in Barnsley
- ‘Printed Impressions’ at St Marie’s Cathedral, Sheffield
Thirteen Members of the group took part in this exhibition 19th May-2nd June 2017. We had an interesting tour beforehand and spent time sketching and taking photos, and then made prints based on what inspired us about this beautiful building.
- ‘Pop up’ shop, Millenium Galleries, 2-14th May 2017
This was a very successful 2 weeks of selling our prints and cards, with different printmakers exhibiting in each of the two weeks.
Success in National Exhibitions/Publications
- Rosemary Watson exhibited her printed artist books at the Book Arts Exhibition at Exeter College and had blind embossed prints accepted for exhibitions in Barcelona and France.
- The Ferens Gallery in Hull accepted work from Katherine Rhodes, Linda Green and Judith Webster for the exhibition February to March 2018
- Suzi Thompson recently had work selected for ‘The Artful Hare’ publication
- The Harley Open ( July 2017) accepted work from Jan Beautyman, Sally Brookes, Alex McArthur and Anthea Stephenson
- Several members of the group had work accepted for the Derby Print Open exhibition 2018 at Green Door printmaking Studio, including Rachel Collier-Wilson, Katherine Rhodes, Judith Duvall, Alex McCarthur, Jenny Bowden and Anthea Stephenson. Jenny Bowden, Katherine Rhodes and Alex McArthur are also award winners! The exhibition is on 1st-29th June.
‘Open Up’ Participation
Fourteen of the group exhibited at Meersbrook Park walled garden on 5th-7th May 2018, in our first venture with ‘Open Up’ as a group. The weather was glorious and we had lots of visitors, helped along by a herb day and refreshments provided by the walled garden volunteers. We had an exhibition in the schoolhouse building, printmaking demonstrations and stalls for our work. Sales were £2168, which is a great result. We have booked again for next year.
Individual members also took part in ‘Open Up’ individually including Cath Dunn, Rosemary Watson, Katherine Rhodes, Judith Webster, Jan Slater and Christine Young. Rezwana Sarkar took part in the Yorkshire Artspace Open up and Rachel Collier-Wilson, Cath Dunn and Trudy Roe in the Derbyshire ‘Open Up’ Event.
Social Event 13th March 2018
The group had a meeting and social at the Nether Edge Club, with lots of food provided and a very interesting talk by Mandy Payne, who talked about her 2 year residency at the Leicester Print Workshop. She brought along examples of her prints, and others, to demonstrate the techniques of stone lithography.
Shared Practice Group
There are currently nine printmakers in this sub-group, and we have had several good meetings this year. Demonstrations/workshops have included non-toxic etching at Cath Hartnett’s house, collage and print at Caroline Quincey’s house, talks about our work and favourite printmakers, an outing to Birmingham to see an exhibition of Kathe Kollwitz and another to the Zillah Bell Gallery in Thirsk.
Still to come….
- ‘Five Sheffield Printmakers’ at the White Lion pub, London Road 4th July- 31st August
- ‘Pop Up‘ Shop, Millenium Galleries 16th-30th November
The Sheffield Printmakers Art House Exhibition 2018, the Art House, Backfields, 23rd November to 8th December